At our school:
- All staff are a visible, welcoming presence at school (in hallways, all parts of the school), greeting students and parents.
- All staff consistently communicates and enforces school rules.
- Staff and students report potential problems to school officials.
- Guests do not have access to the school building, without first checking in to the front office.
- Staff helps to monitor school parking lots and common areas, such as hallways, restrooms and playgrounds.
- Walkie Talkie Radios have been implemented at GVA-DC, allowing for school staff to directly communicate with first responders.
- Our school staff runs drills to prepare for emergencies.
Parent can help by:
- Driving safely in the parking lot by maintaining slow speeds, following directional arrows and not texting while driving.
- Always using the crosswalk to get from the building to the parking lots.
- Checking in to the front office when entering the building and prominently wearing any visitor/volunteer badge.
- Being informed about what is happening at school by reading newsletters and emails.
- Updating contact and emergency contact information in Infinite Campus on a regular basis.
In the coming weeks, GVA-DC will be conducting several safety drills with students including Lockout, Lockdown, Evacuate and Shelter. Evacuate (Fire Drill) routes have recently been revised to reflect recommendations from our DCSD Security team liaison.
Thank you for partnering with us to keep your student(s) safe.
Principal, GVA Douglas County