We are discussing healthy goodbyes. Goodbyes can be difficult, but it is a natural and important part of relationships.
While every goodbye will be different, the following are some general characteristics of a healthy goodbye:
- Allow plenty of time to say goodbye.
- Be direct and clear about the relationship(s) ending. Do not give false hope.
- Honor and remember the good by sharing positive memories.
- Allow and acknowledge any and all emotions that arise. Let children know that they may feel many different types of emotions.
- Share what you appreciate about the other person/people and lessons learned together.
- Communicate expectations for future communication.
Thank you for being such wonderful partners in the social and emotional development of our students. We hope everyone has a wonderful summer!