Beginning Monday, February 25th, all GVA-DC students in grades 1-7 will be taking the STAMP assessment to measure language proficiency in the target language they are learning. The testing window is from February 24th to March 15th. The STAMP test measures student’s target language proficiency and gathers baseline data and measure the progress of language acquisition.
SOURCES OF STRENGTH PARENT INFORMATION NIGHT
A Sources of Strength Parent Information night is scheduled for Monday, February 25thfrom 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm. Sources of Strength is a best practice youth suicide prevention project designed to harness the power of peer social networks to change unhealthy norms and culture, ultimately preventing suicide, bullying, and substance abuse.
The mission of Sources of Strength is to prevent suicide by increasing help seeking behaviors and promoting connections between peers and caring adults. Sources of Strength moves beyond a singular focus on risk factors by utilizing an upstream approach for youth suicide prevention. This upstream model strengthens multiple sources of support (protective factors) around young individuals so that when times get hard they have strengths to rely on.
All GVA-DC staff and middle school students will be trained in Sources of Strength.
MIDDLE SCHOOL INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION NIGHT
Global Village Academy-Douglas County will be hosting its first Middle School Information & Registration Night on Monday, February 25th from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm. On that night, students and parents will learn about:
- Sources of Strength!
- New and exciting elective courses!
- AP Language curriculum!
- How to register and select classes!
- 2019-2020 Trip information!
INTERNATIONAL DAY: IRELAND
- International Day: Ireland is scheduled for Friday, March 1st.
- Performance Times are at 8:45 am and 10:00 am. Please plan on joining us for a day of Irish art, song, dance and folklore!
- We are still in need of help with decorating on Tuesday, February 26th. Please sign-up here
- Reminder: Friday is a half/day- students are released at 12:00 pm!
- All Kindergarten-4th grade students and their families are invited to join us Saturday, March 2nd from 5:00 to 6:30 PM for a Sock Hop!!!
MIDDLE SCHOOL SERVICE PROJECT UPDATE
Global Village Academy- Douglas County’s middle school students are partnering with NDHope to raise money to build classrooms in a new school currently under construction in Liberia. The cost to construct a classroom is $1200/kindergarten classroom and $1000/ 1st – 5th grade classroom. Every classroom we sponsor we get to name after GVA-DC!
Through the “jeans for dreams” and “change for change” fundraising events, GVA-DC students have raised $640 towards the construction of a classroom. Currently, 3rd Grade is in the lead for earning a classroom party for most money collected by a grade level.
Grade level totals as of 2/22/2019:
- Kindergarten: $83.40
- 1st Grade: $79.14
- 2nd Grade: $124.00
- 3rd Grade: $212.15
- 4th Grade: $23.12
- 5th Grade: $28.30
- Middle School: $90.50
There is still one more week to donate money to this worthwhile project. If every GVA-DC student brings in $1, we will raise enough money to build and name one classroom in Liberia!!!
THE WEEK AHEAD
- STAMP Testing
Monday, February 25th
- Sources of Strength Parent Information Night @ 6:00 pm
- Middle School Information and Registration Night @ 6:00 pm
Tuesday, February 26th
- Middle School Sources of Strength Training @ 12:00 pm
Wednesday, February 27th
- Boys basketball vs Lotus Academy @ 5:00 pm
- Prospective Parent Information Night @ 6:00 pm
Friday, March 1st
- Jeans for Dreams (Pay $1 to wear jeans today!!!)
- International Day: Ireland (Performances at 8:45 am and 10:00 am)
- 12:00 pm Release for Students
- Experience Kindergarten @1:30 pm (For students who are new to kindergarten NEXT year only!)
Saturday, March 2nd
- Sock-Hop from 5:00 pm– 6:30 pm
Thank you for partnering with us in the education of your children!
Principal, GVA Douglas County