In this week's installment of the Principal's Letter I have included a recap of events from last week as well as some exciting new information about middle school at GVA-DC!
At Global Village Academy, the safety and welfare of our students and staff are our highest priority. GVA-DC works cooperatively with Douglas County Schools Safety and Security department to implement Standard Response Protocols ( www.iloveyouguys.org). Every month we practice safety drills to help our staff and students know what to do if an emergency does arise and to help students feel safe at school. In addition, these practice drills allow us to evaluate our emergency operation plans and improve our response skills.
- This week we conducted two drills, a fire drill on Monday and a lockdown drill on Wednesday. While we were pleased with the outcome of both drills and the efficacy with which our safety plans were implemented by our staff we still found areas in which we would like to improve!
If you have any questions or would like further information about Standard Response Protocols, please contact Mike Miller, Assistant Principal.
On Friday, December 1, 2017, GVA-DC kicked-off the kindness campaign "#choosekind".
- From December 1st through December 15th students and staff are challenged to complete one act of kindness each day.
- Mrs. Ann Steers created a beautiful advent-style calendar behind the doors of which are 15 kind acts.
- Each day, a door is opened in morning assembly revealing the kindness challenge for the day.
- Please join GVA-DC staff and students and #choosekind!
Supermoons happen when a full moon approximately coincides with the moon's perigee, or a point in its orbit at which it is closest to Earth. This makes the moon appear up to 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter than usual.
- The moon becomes totally full at 10:47 a.m. EST (1547 GMT) on Sunday (Dec. 3).
- It will officially reach perigee less than 24 hours later on Monday (Dec. 4) at3:45 a.m. EST (0845 GMT), when it is 222,135 miles (357,492 kilometers) away from Earth.
December's supermoon is actually the first of three back-to-back supermoon full moons to come in the next two months. On Jan. 1 and Jan. 31, the full moon will also occur near the moon's arrival at perigee, according to NASA, which billed the line up as a supermoon trilogy. The Jan. 31 supermoon is also the second full moon of January, making it a Blue Moon, and also occurs during a total lunar eclipse.
THE WEEK AHEAD
- Winter Map Testing concludes this week
- DIBELS MOY Testing begins this week
- Colorado Gives Day (Tuesday, December 5th) REMEMBER- donations to GVA-DC are tax-deductible AND count towards your volunteer hours!!!
- School Accountability Committee Meeting (Tuesday, December 5th @ 6:00 pm)
Have a great week!!!
Principal, Global Village Academy Douglas County