The council International is composed of members from 12 state ministries and commissions, namely, the General Office of the State Council, the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Finance, the Overseas Chinese Affaires Office of the State Council, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the State Development and Reform Commission, the Ministry of Commerce, the Ministry of Culture, the State Administration of Radio Film and Television (China Radio International), the State Press and Publications Administration, the State Council Information Office and the State Language Work Committee. President of the Council is State Councilor Chen Zhili.Governed by the Council is the Office of Chinese Language Council International, known as "Hanban" for short.
Nature and Mission of Hanban is the executive body of the Chinese Language Council International, a non-governmental and non-profit organization affiliated to the Ministry of Education of China.
Hanban is committed to making the Chinese language and culture teaching resources and services available to the world, to meeting the demands of overseas Chinese learners to the utmost, to contributing to the formation of a world of cultural diversity and harmony.
Functions of Hanban
- To make policies and development plans for promoting the Chinese language internationally under the leadership of the Chinese Language Council International;
- To support Chinese language programs at educational institutions of various types and levels in other countries;
- To guide the General Headquarters of Confucius Institute in the establishment of Confucius Institutes;
- To set down criteria for teaching Chinese as a foreign language and undertake due evaluations; to develop and promote Chinese language teaching materials;
- To set down the certification standards for teachers of Chinese as a foreign language and to undertake due trainings; to send Chinese teachers and volunteers on missions abroad; to provide certification examination for teaching Chinese as a foreign language;
- To set down criteria for establishing websites of Chinese teaching as a foreign language and to build a website platform for access to relevant resources;
- To develop and promote different varieties of Chinese tests as a foreign language
Address: 17th Floor, Fangyuan Mansion, B56 Zhongguancun South St., Beijing 100044